What is Ad Hoc Distribution?
Ad Hoc Distribution allows you to try an application before it’s available in the iTunes App Store. This is how we distribute iPhone applications to beta customers.
These instructions assume you have a .ipa file.
What You’ll Need
Before beginning the installation process you’ll need:
- The .ipa file for the application (usually AppName.ipa)
- The .mobileprovision file for the application (usually Ad_Hoc_Distribution_Profile.mobileprovision)
- Your Device: the iPhone or iPod Touch whose UDID you emailed us previously
- The computer you normally sync with your Device
We usually send the .ipa and .mobileprovision files to you via email.
Installing the Application
- If you have the .ipa and .mobileprovision files in an email, save them to a convenient location, such as your Desktop.
- Drag-and-drop the .mobileprovision file onto Library → Applications in iTunes. On the Mac, you can just drag it to the iTunes icon in your dock.
- Double-click the .ipa file to install it to iTunes.
- Verify that the application shows up in Library → Applications. Note that it will not have its normal icon.
- In iTunes, select your Device under Devices, choose the Application tab, and make sure that the new application is checked.
- Sync your Device and try out the new app!